Friday, January 14, 2011

Counting My Blessings...

Mom, Addison and I had a fun shopping trip planned today. However, plans quickly changed. This morning about 30 mins after waking and taking a shower, I became dizzy and blacked out. This happened 3 times in 30 mins. Called the doctor, who I visited yesterday for some allergy medicine due to redness in my eyes that has been present for approx. 2 weeks. The dr advised me to go to the ER. So Mom, Addison and I quickly took a detour (on our way to the mall) to head to Lakewood Ranch Medical Center. We arrived around 1020 and were taken back pretty quickly. In the 4 hours we were there, I had an EKG, CT Scan, and 5 vials of blood taken. After the EKG was completed, they told me I have a very healthy heart. So more tests to run... They then took me for a CT scan. This is when I began running many different scenarios in my mind of what could possibly be wrong. The nice man who pushed my stretcher to the radiology room was very friendly, but very stern after the scan was complete. Upon returning to my room, I was rather teary eyed which worried my Mom... who immediately asked if they told me something. I said no, but their reaction led me to believe I should be worried. After waiting an hour for the CT scan results, the dr. came in and said nothing was found. My blackouts were most likely related to the new medication I took which I should discontinue. I however, believe otherwise. I think my allergies are throwing my system off and causing my dizziness. Regardless, my worst fears were put at east and we were sent on our way.
Addison was so well behaved through all this- several times Mom was going to take her for a walk, but she said she didn't want to. I don't think she wanted to leave my side. The nurses gave her stickers because they couldn't believe how good she was. Mom and I took her for a late lunch afterwards and had a woman approach our table to say how well behaved she was. This was after 4 hours in the ER and no nap.
Today's experience really helps me put things into perspective. I am so thankful for my health and I pray for the many others who don't receive positive news in situations like mine. I am so thankful for my wonderful parents- I can't imagine going through something like this without them. They are so supportive in many ways. We love them with all our hearts and hope they know how much they mean to us.
We had a lovely dinner this evening at our house with Mom, Dad and Grandma Lucas that was already planned before today's ordeal. It was a wonderful way to end a very worrysome day.

2 comments:

Leanne said...

Sometimes it takes scares like that to help us put things in perspective. Thanks for the reminder. We are all SO incredibly blessed. Most importantly, I am glad this was nothing other than a scare. Love and hugs:)

Jon and Jessica said...

So glad that you are okay!